Pizza Tower is a 2D platformer that combines the style and energy of the Wario Land series with a strong emphasis on movement and exploration. It features highly stylized pixel art inspired by the cartoons of the ’90s and a soundtrack with a high-energy vibe that will get players moving on every stage. The main protagonist is Peppino Spaghetti, a portly Italian chef that’s been thrown into the middle of a tower full of weirdos. He’s on a mission to break it down and save his pizzeria, accompanied by his friend Gustavo and their pet rat Brick along the way.
Pizza Tower features a large number of characters, each with their own unique personality and abilities to help Peppino on his quest. However, Peppino is the most balanced character in the game due to his wide range of abilities and the ability to switch between them during the course of a level.
Peppino Spaghetti Abilities
Peppino Spaghetti is a speedy character with various moves that can be used for blasting through levels.
- Dash: One of the most important is his “Dash” ability, which builds up speed for as long as the dash button is held. Pressing the jump button after a grab will initiate Peppino’s “Long Jump,” which increases distance by two stages and allows him to dash at Mach 2. Dash has 4 stages: March 1, March 2, and March 3.
- Grab: Aside from dashing, Peppino also has an attack called the “Grab.” This move is based on the suplex copy ability from the Kirby series. A lunging grab can be followed up with a giant punch.
- Firemouth: Another major part of Peppino’s abilities is his ability to transform into a firemouth. This form is similar to his bomb transformation, but instead of running nonstop, he’ll be able to break TNT blocks and kill enemies by touching them. He can also inflate and roll like a balloon, which gives him fast momentum when sliding down stairs or slopes. He can also use this ability to break level hazards.
- Body slam is another interesting ability which he uses to slam enemies and break small blocks. It can be activated by holding down whilst in the air and is based on the same move from Virtual Boy Wario Land.
- Roll: Peppino rolls like a bowling ball when pressed down while dashing on the ground at Mach 2 or higher.
- Dive: Peppino will dive downwards at a diagonal angle if you press down while running through the air at Mach 2 or greater.
- Dive Drop: Peppino will perform a rapid ground pound technique akin to the Body Slam when you press jump while diving.
- Super Jump: Peppino jumps higher
- Giant Swing: When you grab an adversary while sprinting into them, Peppino will spin forward with them, destroying blocks and killing enemies.
- Spinning Piledriver: While in the air, pressing down while holding an enemy will cause Peppino to do a piledriver into the ground, sending the enemy held forward upon contact with the ground and killing any enemies he falls on.
- Uppercut: Peppino performs an uppercut while pressing up and grabbing an attacker, sending the enemy soaring upwards at tremendous speed. If the opponent is still in mid-air, he can be seized again.
- Belly Slide: If the player crouches immediately after pressing the grab button, Peppino will slide forwards while laying on his belly. This attack can be used to break blocks in one-block spaces but not to defeat adversaries.
- Rising Uppercut: Press up + grab together to perform a rising uppercut.
- Taunt: When you press the taunt button, Peppino will make a pose.
- Parry: If the player allows Peppino to taunt just before being hit by an enemy or projectile, he will parry and attack back.
- Breakdance: If you keep pressing the taunt button, Peppino will begin breakdancing in one location, and after a while, a boombox will appear beside him, which will disappear as the user releases the button.