If you are interested in playing the famous Metroidvania sim game, Dwarf Fortress, you have come to the right place. This free PC game will allow you to manage a colony of dwarfs in a randomly generated world. You will need to build a fortress, which will allow you to protect yourself and your citizens from attacks from enemies.
In order to play Dwarf Fortress, you need a keyboard and mouse. You can also use a WSAD control to move the map or hold the cursor and scrolling wheel to zoom in or out. Dwarf Fortress has been praised for its intricate and complex gameplay. However, learning it can be difficult. Its imposing interface has layers of nested menus. The game also has an extremely large number of convoluted keyboard shortcuts.
Tips for Dwarf Fortress
- Choose the right biome: Dwarf Fortress is a pixel art game that allows you to generate a fantasy world from scratch. You can then go out and explore it in peace. However, before you do that, you’ll need to start out in the right biome.
- Build a sustainable structure: As you dig out your fort, you’ll have to consider building a sustainable structure. You’ll have to think about resources and population stagnation. If you build too many things, you could end up with an overpopulation issue.
- Don’t build too many forts: There’s no clear-cut endgame, though. If you build too many forts, they’ll eventually all be destroyed. The goal is to become a mountain home, but you can’t see what you’re doing until you’ve got a fortress.
- Random-generated dwarves have strengths and weaknesses, but you have to find out what they are before you can use them to your advantage. You also have to take a bit of a guess about their personality.
- Be gentle with your dwarves: One thing that’s a little more complicated than it sounds is how you deal with your immigrant dwarf. He’s got a secret mood. So you have to be careful. Or you could end up with dwarves that hate each other.
- Read the manual: One sticks out like a sore thumb among all the complexities. It’s the game’s menus. They’re evil. There are a number of nested menus with hotkeys, which can be confusing. The wikis, however, can help you out. Read up on the game and its features before you jump into your first game.